Product Back Log ?Product backlog is a prioritized features list, containing details of all functionality desired by a product as indicated by customer/product manager.
In my past few year of experience in agile development, one of the critical & most debated topic in retrospection are,
- "No stories that are ready to play ?"
- "Team burn rate is high, product back log has exhausted"
- "BA vs Developer ration doesn't match"
- "Couldn't get time from business users, product owners"
Intent of this post is not to address above issues, since it depends on the context & varies from project to project. All I want to bring up is how big a disaster a non-steady product log to a project/organization adopting agile process model.
So, what is the impact of non-steady product log ?
- In one iteration team "Delivered 20 points & in another just 5", why ?
- Average velocity goes for a toss, hmm :(
- Business/Management uses the Avg. Velocity to promise more delivery, which is already a misskewed number :(
- Developer would be spending on tech-debt, since no user stories. Meaning more cost/burn rate of less churn of business values.
- Arriving at project/organization level metrics would be a night mare :(
- This also affects the development teams effectiveness & ability to deliver as the fluctuation to high.
What have been your experience ? Your comments are most welcome...