JBoss 6.x.x is a re-architecture of JBoss 4.x with new the kernal (JBoss Microcontainer). Good news for application developers not much of change to the folder structure with exception of few new configuration files & some old ones were moved around.
- Default support to Java EE 6.0 Specification support.
- JSF 2.0 support with integration with Bean Validation (JSR-303)
- CDI (Contexts and Dependency Injection) JSR - 299 , Weld is JBoss project to support CDI.
- Hornet MQ is the default & recommended messaging infrastructure.
- New Apache CXF-based JBossWS stack.
- JBoss Embedded AS
- New Admin-Console to ease the server administration.
- New Admin-Console is a refresher, user friendly with tree based navigatio.
- Lot of resembles to Weblogic Admin console :), never mind it does the purpose.
- All configuration parameters are persisted for good, unlike the JBoss 4.* version.
- "Service Binding Manager" Component externalizes all port configuration for a given/running profile. This saves lot of time fiddling with the raw .xml files :) as in 4.3.0.
- Applications (.war, .ear) can be added/updated dynamically using the console.
- Queues & Topic can be added dynamically using the console.
- Database connection pools can be added dynamically using the console.
- You have provision to restart/start/shutdown the server using the admin console.
- Very detailed Garbage Collector / Memory pool info on the console.
- The Metric tab for every component provides you useful statistics/metrics an the component. Ex: Selecting a queue provides (Message count, consumer count etc.)
- JMX-CONSOLE is still available, but with a new look & feel.
- Jboss VFS (Virtual File System), help yourself reading this article to understand.
- Jboss Web is the default webserver offering from JBoss 5.x.x, build on top of Tomcat.
- Felt the Server startup & Shutdown is slower than 4.3.0 GA :( hoping minor tweaks should take care of it.
- Couldn't find any documentation on migration from 4.3.0 to 6.0.0, will keep looking...
Jason Greene - What's new in JBoss AS 6.0.0
Admin Console user guide